Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 23 of 23

Thread: OT: Vintage speaker score

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Vintage speaker score


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Vintage speaker score

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Those were likely ceiling speakers. Always thought the best of them might work well in open baffles with a sub.
    That's where I'm going. These little Fraziers reminded me how great a good full range speaker can sound. I have the TangBand W8-1772s in the first cab I ever built, but relegated them to the BR when I discovered the Heathkits and Altec horns. I still listen to them in the BR with my 3W cathode follower and am amazed how well they image. Even in a box, they literally disappear. Much better than my A5s. They sound great, but you definitely know where they are. But when you A/B both of them, the sound of the box holds them back. I'm wondering if an open baffle design might help that. I'm going to try.

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Vintage speaker score

    Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    That's where I'm going. These little Fraziers reminded me how great a good full range speaker can sound.
    That's what I had in mind too. I'll be interested in what you come up with. I have a "pair" that although they look identical on first glance, one has a thicker motor. Model numbers are different, but whatever. They're probably basically equivalent, separated by age. They're labeled as Quam. I also have pair of 10" Fishers built by Quam.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Vintage speaker score


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Vintage speaker score

    You have no "Quams" about the mismatch?
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.